Why Honors Humanities?

You’ll be part of a tight-knit community of peers, mentors, and alumni.

As one of the smaller living and learning programsin the Honors College, we pride ourselves on cultivating a welcoming and intellectually stimulating atmosphere, where you will form real and close relationships with your fellow HoHummers and with faculty.

With such a community, you will get the experience of attending a small liberal arts school, while also gaining the benefits of a large state university. Join us to make your closest college friends and to connect with faculty who get to know you and sincerely care about your development as a student and a person.

You’ll get the benefits of a humanities education, whatever your major.

About 9% of our 2018 freshmen class are majors in the College of Arts & Humanities; the other 91% are majoring inmyriad majors, including sciences, social sciences, journalism, and public policy, among others. This program offers you the opportunity to either balance your education or deepen your engagement with the arts and humanities. Whatever your major, Honors Humanities will ensure that you enjoy the many benefits of a humanities education. Some general benefits include:

  1. Excelling in critical thinking skills
  2. Excelling on graduate school entrance exams
  3. Enjoying the coursework thatencourages you to authentically grow as a person and a professional
  4. Emphasizing visionary leadership
You’ll build skills for your career. Increasingly, employers in many fieldsare looking for people with solid critical thinking and written and oral communication skills, all of which our program emphasizes.

Moreover, our program offers the kind of close mentorship and intellectual atmosphere that encourages you to find the career that you will find most satisfying.